Early Childhood Education
Our Early Childhood programs are planned to extend our students in all the developmental domains: Social and Emotional, Physical (Fine and Gross Motor), Cognitive and Language. Teachers collaboratively plan engaging, meaningful and age appropriate learning experiences that reflect the children’s interests and build on their prior knowledge. Time for the children to practise new skills and opportunities for them to take educational risks in a safe environment is provided in daily programs. Every teacher has a keen desire to model appropriate behaviours and expectations while they work ‘shoulder to shoulder’ with the children. Reflective practice is a priority and regular Professional Learning sessions are presented to keep our teachers at the cutting edge of educational developments.
Assessments in early childhood are age appropriate, fair, educative, explicit and purposeful. The teachers use their ongoing assessments to determine what the children already know so they can plan learning experiences that build on that prior knowledge.
One of our priorities is the creation of a comfortable and safe learning environment both inside and outside the classroom. Four classrooms have been specifically renovated or built to suit Kindergarten and Pre-primary purposes. Each classroom is set up to facilitate individual learning needs and includes areas for explicit learning in singular, small, or whole group activities. There is also space provided for imaginative play, creative arts, relaxation or rest. The outdoor learning area is currently in the process of being renovated to include a nature playground, featuring seating for meal times, vegetable and flower gardens, worm farms, compost bins and a water pump.
We make every effort to create the best learning environment possible for our students, as the early years are essential for children’s development.
Early Childhood education is the foundation for lifelong learning. We believe that each child is a unique individual and should be viewed, respected and treated as such. We believe in creating a learning environment that has the perfect blend of play with explicit and purposeful activities that nurtures skills, values, curiosity and understanding. We build strong and trusting relationships, where children come to school each day with a smile, because they feel comfortable and safe.
- Teachers build strong and trusting relationships
- Teachers and children work side by side
- Teachers model appropriate behaviours and expectations
- Teachers acknowledge the children’s needs, interests and cultural backgrounds
- Programs include planned, purposeful play balanced with explicit teaching
- Teachers plan learning activities that are engaging for the children, provide them with time to practise, and allow them to take risks in a safe environment
- Teachers plan collaboratively and prioritise reflective practice
- Teachers remain at the cutting edge of educational developments by attending regular Professional Learning sessions
- Teachers provide the foundations of Literacy and Numeracy that will be built upon in later years
- Learning experiences are meaningful and age-appropriate, reflect the children’s interests, and build on their prior knowledge
- Learning is authentic and helps the children make meaning of their world
- Collaborative learning is a valued part of the program
- Programs are designed to extend our students in all the developmental domains: Social Emotional, Physical (Fine and Gross Motor), Cognitive and Language
- The Early Years Learning Framework (EYLF), the Kindergarten Guidelines, and the Western Australian Curriculum form the basis of programs
- The curriculum is adaptable, sequential and logical
- Is fair, educative, explicit and purposeful
- Used to determine what the children already know to plan learning experiences to build on the children’s prior knowledge
- Summative assessment is used to determine children’s progression through the learning and address areas of need